Nourish: Letter Writing


In the frenzy of text messages, tweets, status updates, 
blogging, and e-mails, 
we often forget how nice it is to receive a letter in the mail. 
A real-stamped-sealed-signed-delivered by a human-letter in the mail.
How many of you can recognize the handwriting of your friends? Your family? 


I keep a box of notes, cards and letters. 
A couple boxes, actually.
And I frequently fill them up with whatever I get in the mail
that I want to remember in the future.


I can recognize who each letter is from 
just by the handwriting.
{That's my sister above!}
And I love that.
I really do.


Otherwise I wouldn't keep these memories around.
For so long.
But they are a connection to my family and friends
that is so much more tangible
than any e-mail or facebook shout out
will ever be.

So I encourage you to sit down this week 
and write one letter. Just one.
To your parents, your sister, whomever.
That is all we are asking.

And if you really don't have anyone to write to,
you can write to me.
It's my birthday week after all.

{erin}



2 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I have a line of greeting cards and am an avid letter-writer so I can totally relate. I have been saving the cards my 5-month old son has received, hoping he will share my love of handwritten cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We love the idea of passing on the joy of hand written notes from generation to generation. I cherish a letter my grandfather wrote to my daughter the day she was born. I imagine someday she will cherish it as well!

    ReplyDelete